How to create a loveable, livable Cottage
When creating a room to have a cottage look and feel, there are some basic elements that say “cottage”.
The home I’m staying in for the summer is a rental, that sits near the ocean. It definitely has lots of designer touches, so I decided to shop- the- house, and give this room that everyone seems to love so much, a bit of personality.
It has the “bones” of a cottage, but not the layering to give it that homey feel.
The walls are painted a soft gray. The white slip covered sofa is already in place, with the sisal rug, driftwood mirror, metal lamps, natural wood end tables, and a blue and white theme.
Even though this is a Beach Cottage, you can use these basic elements for your cottage no matter where you live. Just use natural elements from your landscape and natural environment.
My daughter added the bookcase and the white desk and chair. She calls this room the library. The sofa, even though it’s slipcovered, makes out to a double bed to accommodate guests.
Since my sister and mom will be visiting, I wanted to take it up a notch to make them feel more comfortable, and give the room a more “inviting presence”.
1. a slipcovered sofa – preferably white, but can also be ticking fabric, or floral, even velvet will do. Natural fabrics are a must.
2. Pillows with mixed prints and scale ( too many pillows in the same size can look over crowded). See before picture. I love floral pillows in a cottage, too.
3. Details from Nature – blown glass, rocks, shells, metal sculptures, horns, antlers, plants.
4. Soft lighting – lamps, salt lamps, candles, and lots of flowers.
5. Bright colors ( since the room was already blue and white, I decided to introduce some pinks and turquoise). Don’t be afraid to mix it up a bit with some unexpected colors!
6. Interesting wall art ie. vintage prints, words, wall decals
7. Simple accessories
8. A laid back look and feel with a place to put your feet up.
9. Natural fragrance – herbs, moss, fresh flowers.
10. A space that says you!
A way to express Gratitude to your self, or your guests, is to make your rooms as beautiful as you would like them to feel.
Each one of us is the King or Queen of our castles, and we can live in a special happy space, and feel gratitude every day.
You’re worth it!
A few words from Sonia Choquette “The Answer is Simple” oracle card deck:
“The Spirit is a sensitive light body and is influenced by the environment it finds itself in. Dreary, dark, messy, cluttered, un-clean surroundings send the Spirit out the door and invite the goblins and trolls of negativity to move in and camp out in the corners.
It’s time to set this right: Open the blinds, clear the decks, paint the walls, change the lightbulbs, and decorate the atmosphere where you live. Make your environment a proper home for your Spirit. Your Spirit must dwell in a cheerful and festive place, filled with color and live plants, fresh flowers, clean windows, and bright light.
Your Spirit is a holy guest in your body and must be treated as royalty. You wouldn’t disrespect visitors with an unwelcoming environment or expect them to dwell in your mess, and you shouldn’t disrespect your Spirit by giving it less than the tranquil setting it deserves, either. Take the time to create a festive and bright atmosphere for your Spirit. Be happy to welcome it home. Give it the proper surroundings, and put out the best you have to receive it.
Please sign up so you don’t miss a post. Thank you for taking the time to visit today, and please leave a comment.