Here are the before pictures of the room. It is a very small area, and very dark, only getting the morning and afternoon light. Since I am in a condo, Privacy in the window is of utmost importance. I need to let as much light in as possible, while still maintaining my privacy. Originally, the lace curtains that you see in the photo, hung to the floor. I did a mock up of a roman shade to see if I would like it. The bookcase under the window would have to go. The large bookcases, will remain in the dark walnut color original to the maker’s design.
What is the Miss Mustard Seed Reset your Room Challenge, you may be asking your self? Well, for the longest time, I have been an admirer, stalker?, and follower of her wonderful blog, that is full of beautiful photography, and writing from the heart. In fact, she is the one that I give credit to, though she doesn’t have a clue, for the reason, inspiration for me starting my own blog. I think and breathe design, even though my budget is limited, I would spend my last dime on a table or chair, that I can repurpose, paint, or refinish. So….
I took on the challenge to pick a room, it took about a minute to decide, my dining room was in need of a lighten, brighten, and quieten, to see what it needed. The room was crowded, lacked any style, was way too dark, and was the one room that was the dumping place for anything that didn’t have a place, and it wasn’t being used for it’s intended purpose, an eating area.
The other part, was that I needed to do it without any additional money spent, or at least minimal. So, I had to use what I already had in my stash.
The room above shows it after I have removed everything but the big pieces of furniture, which MMS calls a “room reset” and Myquillin, the Nester, calls ” quieting the room” Either one works for me, and I think it is a great way to start. It is also, a great Feng Shui principle to empty the room, and get the “chi” moving . Clutter causes the energy to stagnate, and when things get moved, the energy is set free and allowed to circulate. It also feels great to see a room without all the stuff in it, so that you can get a better perspective from looking at it with fresh eyes.
My first priority was the window. I found this remnant in my fabric stash, and loved the colors with the rest of the furnishings in my living room, as you can see in the second photo, where I have it next to a chair fabric. The colors are teal, brown, and soft burnished red on a cream background. This was just enough material to do the cafe curtain…..
First try, and they didn’t look right, so I folded one under to see if a shorter version would look better. Also, the rod was sagging, so I inserted a couple of shish kebob skewers in the rod. Cafe curtain rods come in a maximum 48″ long, which is just enough to cover my window. Any more, and the rod would have pulled apart. Also, since I was limited on the amount of fabric, I was not able to get an exact pattern match with the repeat being 29″.
The next thing I did, was take a sheer rod pocket panel that I already had, and sewed a new rod pocket along the long side of it. I used four ribbons, cut about 36″ long to hoist it up into the balloon shade valance that you see in the second picture. I also felt like the cafe panels were too darkening, so I cut the original lace panels down, and put them on a tension rod behind the cafe panels for a layered look. There is basically nothing that I can do with the verticle blinds that are a permanent fixture in the condo, and give me the most privacy at night. I love the way it turned out. I already had the fabric for the panels, the sheer curtain panel, and the lace panels that I cut down. When I was digging around, I found two packages of cafe curtain rings ( 30 total) and had the tension rod. The only purchase so far, was the cafe rod, and I used a coupon for 50% off, so it cost me roughly $4.00.
Tune in next time to see what surprises showed up for me when I was right in the middle of painting the chairs!